Thursday 15 September 2011

Mr Allchin's update

Well as a new term starts I thought I would give you all an update on how the training has been going over the summer holidays.  You will be pleased to know that although I managed to get away from it all, I did stick to my training plan for the marathon. From the day you all left on Friday 22 July for the summer holidays, I have clocked up 131 miles (211 km) of road and trail running.  To put that into perspective, that is approximately 700 laps of the school field.

So far I have been blessed as I have no injuries to speak of, just a few hairy moments in Cyprus when the trail I was running on suddenly disappeared into the sea leaving me with two choices, 1. swim round to the next headland, or 2. go back the way I came and find another route.  I thought that turning around was a safer option due to the rocks, and the huge waves crashing into them.  Apart from that, and being chased by dogs, I gave my legs a good workout in the mountains and I am on course for a reasonable time.

As a warm up, I will be running in the Royston Harvest 10 mile cross country run on 18 September, and on the way back I am planning to get dropped off near Puckeridge so I can add another 10 miles to the daily total.  This will be a good test for the legs before the big day.

As one running coach once said...'Go out hard, and finish harder'

I hope you all have a great time back at school, and I will let you know how things are going in a couple of weeks time. If you can't wait that long, then just log on to my blog for updates.

www.ware2barefoot.co.uk (child friendly) and the sponsorship form is available at www.tuxpower.co.uk/eden.pdf

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your Royston run today, hope it all goes well.

    ReplyDelete